Monday, September 22, 2008

Cycle 5 - CD5 - Menopur

After my last Thursday post I started bleeding heavily so it was considered my Cycle 5 CD1. I went to the clinic on Saturday for my baseline ultrasound and blood work. Everything looked normal in the ultrasound and I am still waiting for the blood results. The plan for this cycle is to be on Menopur 75IU injectables and try to slowly grow my follicles. The doctor is really worried about overstimming me because of my PCOS but with my really pathetic response to clomid and femara I am thinking that it wouldn't happen.

My clinic had some donated medication and so I got about 7 days worth of free medication. I am going back on Friday (5 days after stimming) for an ultrasound and blood test. Based on the results my dosage will be adjusted and I will have to buy the additional medication. I would love to hear from people who have used Menopur in the past regarding cost of medication and side-effects.

Last thursday I was telling my husband that maybe after this injectable cycle we might have to move on to IVF. He was shocked at the idea and said that we are moving too fast and we need to slow down. We got into an argument and I guess since it was my CD1 I was very vulnerable and burst into tears. He was trying to justify that since IVF is the last option we need to keep it for the very end. His concern is what if that doesn't work then we have no other option left. My justification was since we are young (both of us are 29) we have a very good chance at IVF (producing eggs is our only problem so far). And its not like we jumped into IVF right away. We did try clomid and femara and my response was not so good. This cycle we are trying injectables and maybe if I respond good I might even consider another round of injectables but if I develop too many eggs or too less eggs then IVF is our best bet and I do not want to delay it. Finally he said that he understands my point of view but we need to set a deadline and take a break as my body needs rest. I had to take 15 imitrex tablets during my last cycle for my migraines and the recommended dose is 5-6 per month. Without the fertility medication and migraine medication I am already taking 14pills every day out of which 11 are to help me get pregnant and 3 are for my heartburn. I guess he is right. My body is going to break down soon if I do not give it some rest. We will be making a decision based on my response this cycle. If we do go on a break then it would mean that I will not ovulate on my own so I will need either birth control pills or progesterone to shed my lining. Hope this cycle will work and I do not have to worry about my next cycle.

2 comments:

I Believe in Miracles said...

Glad to hear you got some donated meds. That's awesome.

The decision to go to IVF was a hard one for us. Keep talking about it as you go through this cycle.

I'm hoping that this one will work for you too! I do think a break and some sort of deadline is a great idea. We set one, and it's nice to know, although still very scary to think about.

**HUGS**

Meim said...

Oh man, I totally relate to your sense of urgency and the stress that comes with it. Hugs for you, and I hope that you and DH can find the exact balance that will appease you both.

Of course, positive thinking wouldn't hurt either right? ;)