Monday, October 13, 2008

Cycle 5 - CD26 - 2DPO

My first IUI experience was not painful at all. The nurse had some problem finding my cervix and was digging for a while and that was a little painful but after that things happened smoothly and fast. My husband's sperm count was more than excellent. Post wash count was 117million. The nurses were all smiling after looking at his numbers. I did not care to ask the pre wash number. We were also advised to do the deed at home over the weekend. So I am officially in the 2 week wait now. I have to give myself the HCG booster shots on 10/13, 10/16 and 10/19. My progesterone test is on 10/18 and 10/21 and HPT on 10/27.

Since we did an IUI this cycle from now on my insurance does not cover anything. Every ultrasound will cost me 150$ and the blood tests range from 60-90$. The IUI cost me 500$. I guess from now on I will have to watch how many tests and ultrasound we have to do. I know its not much but with my really long follicular phase I end up getting about 10 ultrasounds and estrogen blood tests every cycle. So along with the medication cost, IUI and progesterone tests it comes to about 4k-5k per month for an injectable cycle. I might consider one more of that and then we are planning to take a break. I hope this cycle works and I don't have to worry about the next one but I have already asked my clinic for a plan for the next cycle.

Thanks for all you fellow bloggers for letting me know about the Follistim. I am going to try and fight it out with my clinic. Lets hope I win and get the donated medication for the next cycle.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow then I wonder how I got pregnant after 10 years?

Clomid did NOTHING for me with PCOS. Follistim however I got from 4-9 follicles. Not only did the Follistim work but as I mentioned I did become pregnant utilizing it with timed intercourse. I did miscarry, but I got pregant! Since the miscarriage I haven't used FOllistim and haven't become pregnant again much less have I ovulated!

So it does indeed work! If your clinic refuses this request it is time to get a new doctor!

Anonymous said...

Oh and I did have to use Ganirelix to prevent early ovulation but Follistim does work with we PCOSers!

Nichole said...

Glad the IUI went well for you! I am praying that this is the month for you! Good Luck in your 2WW!

ms. c said...

Hi,
I'm here from LFCA. I also have PCOS, and Clomid did nothing for me (we tried it for 2 cycles with my GYN before we met with the RE).

I did 5 cycles using Letrozole (Femara) and Puregon (what Gonal-f is called here in Canada). We did an IUI for 3 or those cycles (I got pregant on the 5th cycle and now have a 6 month old.) So, YES, the Follistim can work. My RE felt that because of the tendancey for PCOS ovaries to overstimulate, it was better to go low and slow with my Puregon med (60IU per night.)

If you want to read about my protocol, you can just follow this link http://itcouldtakethreemonths.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-time-no-see.html
It isn't the cycle we conceived, but we used the same protocol the following month when it finally did happen.

If you have any questions, you can leave me a comment on my current blog post with how to contact you by email.

Of course, I hope all this info is moot, and that this cycle will be the one. Best of luck!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Good luck with this IUI!! I'm crossing figures and sending you baby dust.
***HUGS***

I Believe in Miracles said...

For Random Reassurance Week, I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your quilting awesomeness. It makes me want to make a quilt too!
**HUGS**