Friday, October 10, 2008

Cycle 5 - CD23 - Only one follicle

I guess the title says it all. After 30 Menopur injections and 3 Ganirelix shots my body can only produce one follicle. Today at my ultrasound I had one big follicle at 19.2mm on the left ovary and 3, 9mm ones. On the right there was one 9mm. They had me trigger this morning and IUI is set for tomorrow AM. Even though the nurse kept assuring me that one follicle is all that takes I am still not convinced. So far my body has produced only one follicle each cycle with oral medication so when they spoke to me about multiples and selective reduction with the injectable cycle I was really hoping for 2 or 3 good ones. My estrogen was only up to 138 on CD 21 and I don't think I was anywhere near over stimulation. I am beginning to think that my doctor is over cautious and needs to be a little more aggressive. I am not sure if I have to go for an IUI this cycle but my nurse thinks I should, I guess it wont hurt. She suggested 2 IUI's but I opted for just one. I don't know if doing the IUI 24hrs after trigger is a good idea. My insurance does not cover any of this so the total cost so far is 2K and I guess it will cost another 600$ for IUI and progesterone tests. I am not too hopeful about this cycle and have already asked for a plan for the next cycle.

My clinic has a bunch of donated Follitism but they keep convincing me that it wont work for PCOS patients. I wish they let me use it for one cycle so that I can start saving for IVF (if I have to). I have seen online that a lot of PCOS patients have ovulated with Follitism. Can someone please tell me their experience if they have PCOS and have used Follitism before.

8 comments:

A Decade of BFNs said...

Me ME ME!!! I used 150iu follistim for 10 days...it was alot. But I got tons of follies growing. The day of my IUI there were about 15 of all different sizes and about 5 or so of them mature size. I just got a BFP...print my blog out and bring it to her clinic!!!! Good luck, one egg is all it takes...and I hope you catch it.

I Believe in Miracles said...

I hope your one is enough. They kept telling me -- all you need is one. One egg, one sperm... to make a baby. I hope you get your miracle.

Anonymous said...

I'm here from Lost and Found. I have PCOS as well and got great follicle sizes using Follistim. I used Gonal-F (basically the same thing) for #2 and got a bfp that way as well. Just some background but I did clomid/IUI cycles and got bfn's. I did a Follistim cycle and got a bfp. A Gonal-F cycle and got a bfp.

I would be a strong self advocate here and almost demand to give the Follistim a shot.

Good luck.
-Heather

Polka Dot said...

Let me join the chorus -

annovulatory, insulin resistant PCOS'er here - I used Follistim and it worked perfectly! I had several follicles that grew exactly on time.

But I was on 275 (I believe, it's been 3 yrs now), which is a high dose. But it still worked just fine.

I'd insist on giving it a go.

battynurse said...

I don't have PCOS but have never heard of the follistim not working. Besides, if you were going to do IVF what meds would they give you if not follistim/gonal f? and other than the menopur which doesn't seem to be doing much.

Anonymous said...

I have PCOS and all I ever used for my IUIs and my IVF cycle was follistim. I didn't have any luck with the IUIs (although I did always have really nice follicles) for my IVF we retrieved 18 eggs, 14 of which were fertilized with ICSI and 10 of which did their thing. I've never heard that PCOS patients can't use follistim and my RE never suggested trying anything else. I documented all of my cycles in my blog, starting back in Feb. of '06 if you want to slog through the details.

Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

saw your question at LFCA and had to chime in - I have PCOS - I only used follistim for my last cycle (previous pregnancies were with metrodin and pergonal - wayyyy back in the dark ages before the new drugs). I did injects/IUI and was pleased to have 2 really good follies, plus 2-3 smaller possibilities. It did seem to take longer, but the baby is four now, so I guess it worked.

Angela Alex said...

Hi all i am 36 i was diagnosed with PCOS/insulin resistance, me and my husband have been trying for more than 12years so we went to the obgyn and he put me on metformin 500mg 1x a day progesterone, Clomid 50 mg first month no ovulation 2nd month he upped the dosage on clomid to 100 that didn't make me ovulate either i am not on my last day of progesterone and will be taking clomid 150mg i am also taking dexamethasone and pregnitude to help me ovulate. my next step was the injections and looking into them they are very costly and steel no positive result then i saw on the internet how people uses herbal herbs from Dr James herbal made medicine to get pregnant and cures all kinds diseases so i gave a try and here 2017 i got pregnant and got a baby girl and i decided to try again and i contacted Dr James again and I'm now 5weeks pregnant thanks  DR James.. if you are in my situation and you are suffering from such diseases like dont go and wast your money on drugs and injections  Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.Lupus.
,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,(A just reach him ON : drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com And You can call/WhatsApp dr James on +2348152855846