Monday, August 29, 2011

Cycle1, CD20 - IT SUCKS

IUI CANCELLED DUE TO OVER STIMULATION

Friday Ultrasound:
Lt ovary: 21mm, 17mm, 16mm, 14mm
Rt ovary: 14mm, 13mm, 12mm
Lining: 12.9mm

I was given the go ahead to do the trigger shot at 10pm that night and IUI was scheduled for Sunday morning 10am. I was really excited that this time we had 2 good ones to work with. Sat night I have some mild stomach bloating and pain.

Sun morning before IUI I asked the receptionist to check with the nurse if I needed an ultrasound because of the pain and they said that I didn't. So my husband went ahead with the sperm collection and we were waiting for the IUI. Since my insurance does not cover any of this we paid for the IUI too. Just before putting the cath in the nurse suggested that we do an ultrasound to be sure. My ovaries usually are not that visible during vaginal ultrasounds so the tech had to do it abdominally. Then we are back in the room waiting for the IUI, the nurse walks in and says that I have too many follicles and hence we need to cancel. She goes on about multiples and the risks associated with it. I guess I had 5 above 16mm and 2 around 15mm. The lining was at 20mm. Both me and my DH were so disappointed. The on-call doctor (a different RE from the same practise) also walked in and told us the risk involved and was trying to push us to towards IVF for the next cycle. We told him that it was too expensive for us (without insurance coverage) and also it was too early as we've only tried one cycle. I was still in shock and didn't know what to do. We came home and I was upset the whole day.

Today when I look back at Friday's results I am so confused. I did have a lot of 14mm and 16mm on Friday so why did they not cancel it on Friday itself? Also they did not recommend an ultrasound before the IUI so did that mean that they were not worried about the other ones maturing? Why did they not do the ultrasound before the sperm collection (We have ended up paying for a cancelled IUI)? Can the lining go from 12.9mm to 20mm in 2 days? Why did they increase my dosage from 225IU to 300IU on Wednesday? I have spent about 2100$ on medications this cycle and that's a lot of money for a cancelled IUI. My RE's office has still not returned my call. So I am still mad and with no answers.

2 comments:

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Here from LFCA...

Based on my 11 treatment cycles over the years, here's what it looks like to me. Some people with your Friday U/S follicles will have just one or two lead follicles on Sunday, with the others staying much smaller -- this is probably what they expected from you. Instead, your smaller follicles caught up, meaning that any/all of them ended up with a decent chance of fertilization.

As for the increase from 225 to 300 on Wednesday, I'm guessing that 225 wasn't making your follicles grow fast enough, but 300 turns out to have made them grow too well! If you were doing an IVF cycle, this would have been a great outcome.

My two REs have both been very aggressive, so they would have gone ahead, but some like yours are more conservative and want to avoid higher-order multiples and raising the question of selective reduction.

Honestly an RE encouraging you to go straight to IVF after one cycle when you had a good response, and when your daughter was conceived on your first injectable cycle, doesn't sit right with me.

Sorry about the cancellation. Good luck next time. Be sure to ask the doctor about free meds, either samples or donated from other patients, esp. given the cancellation this time around.

My Vegas said...

I have bunk tubes, so having multiple follies like you had were not a problem. I did 2 IUIs and both did not work. Your doc is being conservative, and I think it is because you have a good shot at the IUI.
It's extremely frustrating, yes, and money down the drain. I am sorry. Hopefully they will call back and explain soon.