Friday, August 8, 2008

Cycle 3 - CD54 - Waiting to move on

Sorry I have been MIA for a while. Work has been very hectic and there was nothing significant happening in the IF area so I did not have much to update. I am still on this stupid cycle as I haven't got AF yet. A week ago I went for a blood pregnancy test and then started progesterone to bring on AF. So I am on the progesterone till Sunday and should get AF by Tuesday-Wednesday and finally move on to the next cycle.

This week we met my RE to go over my treatment and the plan for the future. I have to say that he is the most patient doctor ever, who writes down almost everything he says and gives me a copy so that I don't have to come home and try to remember medical names and stuff. He said that I have 4 options for the next cycle and I am going to list those based on his preference.

1. Extended Femara Cycle - Femara is similar to clomid but works a little differently. So I would take Femara on cd5-cd11 and then based on ultrasound take it for more days if needed. He also promised that we would not wait forever in this cycle and if there is no significant growth by day 20 we will move on to the next cycle. I do not want to have another 60day cycle.

2. IVF - Yeah you read that right. His second preference was IVF as he feels that I will be producing multiple follicles in an injectable cycle and it might get risky. Also my insurance does not cover IF treatment so an injectable cycle would cost me about 2000$-3000$ (including medication, blood tests and ultrasounds). He said that an IVF cycle would cost me anywhere between 15K - 17K and because of my age I will have atleast a 75%-90% chance in the first try.

3. Injectables - Their clinic uses gonadatropins and he said that I would start at the lowest dose possible and be monitored very carefully. Also he spoke to us about multiples and the risks involved. He said that if there were more than 3 follicles then we might have to do either follicle reduction or fetal reduction else cancel the cycle.

4. Extended clomid cycle - Continue the same clomid cycle and tweak it further to help me better. I was totally against this option though.

So finally we decided that we are going to try Femara for the next cycle (honestly I think it is just a waste of time) and then one to two injectable cycles and then IVF. I am also planning to get an endoscopic sinus surgery done between Cycle 4 & 5, if I am not pregnant at that time. Again I am not so hopeful about this cycle now but that might change over the course of Cycle 4. I will be reading all your blogs over the next few days. Hope all is well with everyone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry that you are still stuck in Cycle 3- that must be unbelievably frustrating.

Do they plan to use progesterone suppositories in your next tww? Or do they hope that the Femara will give you a more 'normal' progesterone reading? (I don't know much about it.)

My clinic offers the option of converting to IVF if you are overstimulated in an injectables/IUI cycle. Would that be an option for you?

Good luck. I hope af arrives soon and that the Femara works.

SAHW said...

I think it helps a lot to have a plan in place, and I'm glad you do. I hope the plan will work out for you at the early stages rather than later on. :)

Amy (TheGiggleWorm) said...

Ugh - long cycles are the worst. Making a coice is so hard sometimes.

I hope you get AF soon so you can start treatment!

Mrs. Barrenness said...

Thanks for dropping by! We seem to have very similar cycle issues. If I don't have continuous AF, my cycles are anywhere from 35-60 days. So frustrating! I hope you start soon so you can start the next cycle. I look forward to checking back in and following your journey.

I Believe in Miracles said...

I cannot even imagine a 60 day cycle. That must be terribly frustrating. I think Elaine at His Promises, My prayers (there is a link on my blog) got pregnant on Femara. I'm sure she could be a great resource about it.

I hope AF comes soon!!

**BIG HUGS**