Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cycle3, CD40, 16DPO - BFN

So far this has been the hardest of all my cycles. It could be because I had to switch clinics mid-way or it could be because I used so much medication (66vials of Menopur) and it took forever for the follicles to grow or it could be because I had great follicle size, great lining and amazing sperm count during my 2 IUI's or it could be because I had the best progesterone value so far (44.5) and it kept increasing during the luteal phase (66) or it could be because I had lots & lots of pregnancy symptoms this time (sore boobs, lower abdominal cramping, yeast infection, light headed) or it could be because my doctors office has already called me three times to actually confirm that I have started a period as they were also sure that this cycle worked. On the whole it has been freaking crazy. I still cannot believe that this cycle did not work. My doctor & the nurses cannot believe that it did not work. I think I cried a lot yesterday and I cannot actually remember the last time I cried so much (it was that bad). On top of it all DH keeps changing his mind about wanting another baby. His reasons are really not valid  and he is being sooper insensitive to what I am going through. I am already in so much pain (physically & emotionally) that this cycle did not work and he wanted to tell me yesterday that he does not want any more kids. He could have waited a few days to make this announcement cos we are not doing anything this cycle but just resting. Anyway after further discussion he is open to one more round. IVF is going to be our next option. It is going to be very expensive, very time consuming, very stressful and mostly I will have to go through it alone. None of our friends or family know about this and I don't think I can lean on my husband for support anymore. He would mostly be a little more than a sperm donor. I am trying to tell myself that I am strong and can do this on my own. My dd is a huge support as seeing her gives me all the courage I need for now but I am scared (a lot). We still have to decided between clinics and so far are considering the following 3 clinics:

CCRM:
pro - nation wide excellent rating, great lab, great doctors, 30min drive from my place, my favorite nurse from conceptions works here now
con - most expensive of the 3

Conceptions:
pro - about 3K cheaper than CCRM, great lab, 25min drive from my place
con - my Aug-Sep and Sep-Oct cycle was with them and did not like their approach. I started my Jan cycle with them and they had me cancel halfway through (when I actually moved to Dr. Albrecht and he helped me continue the cycle)

Albrecht women's care:
pro - Absolutely love Dr. Albrecht (he was with conceptions when I cycled for my first child), Love the nurses, least expensive
con - 1.5hrs drive from my place, not much info about their IVF success or lab on the Internet

As of now the approximate quotes I have from the 3 places are CCRM - 16K+, Conceptions - 13K+, Albrecht - 10K+. It will be nice to hear feedback from fellow IFers in the Denver area.

6 comments:

DandelionBreeze said...

Oh hun... I'm so sorry :( It's so heartbreaking to hear that this cycle didn't work out for you. My thoughts and heart are with you... and hope that you find a way forward to the next cycle xoxo

Denver Laura said...

For IVF, all of them have their stats listed out by age and issue. I would recommend comparing all of them and using that to assist in your decision.

I want to preface that I have not undergone IVF, but I have been to both CCRM and Conceptions.

I preferred Conceptions because I felt that I was listened to. At CCRM, some of my concerns were dismissed and I almost missed an IUI because of it.

I know there are huge issues if you choose one for IVF, have fertilized eggs then transfer to the other. Plus, if you move, CCRM will not accept bloodwork done at any other clinic. Conceptions was willing to consider it but my bloodowrk was old so I was going to have to do it all over again anyway. Basically, it's a big pain in the ovaries to move clinics.

You also might want to consider UCD. They have a small program that might work for you.

Arnden said...

I was originally a patient at Conceptions and loved Dr. A, but once he left I did not like Dr. B. He is condescending and rude... making me feel inadequate and a failure. The staff was nice and listened to me, but they were quick to blame me for my cycle/pregnancy failures. In 6 cycles here, I got pregnant twice, but they were a miscarriage and an ectopic.

At CCRM, I felt like a number and that no one really listened to me. I felt like they forced me to do IUI even though I have been getting pregnant just fine with TI. I never saw the same u/s tech or nurse during my two cycles there (neither of which resulted in pregnancy).

Never heard of Albrecht women's care, but I loved the doctor.

I personally went overseas for my last IVF and saved money while having a European vacation to boot. My twin girls for that one cycle are 4 months old.

Patience said...

Here from LFCA

I traveled from across the country to cycle at CCRM. I found them to be the opposite of what some of the commenters have said. For the first time, I felt like I wasn't a number. I felt like I was being heard and that I was finally getting the attention I needed. Yes, they have strict rules about bloodwork and other things, but I felt it was all worth it.

To be honest, I was not successful at CCRM- but don't regret any of the time I spent cycling there. I still talk with my CCRM nurse as we make decisions going forward. We didn't get to CCRM until I had failed three IVFs locally. We've moved onto adoption, but hope to cycle again with CCRM for a sibling in the future.

I'd be happy to share more about my experience. Feel free to email me at puzzleblog (at) me (dot) com

BB said...

I am a CCRM success story... finally pregnant (almost 22weeks) after 6 failed IUI's and 3 failed IVF's locally.

My experience was not as described by the other commenters as my doctor listened to my concerns and responded to my questions when I asked about a test, procedure or protocol.

CCRM is expensive. Women travel to CCRM from all over the US and internationally because they have failed elsewhere. The testing is extensive, and they trust the results from their own lab - so most tests you have had done elsewhere will not be accepted. The protocol is specific to you based on your test results and is monitored daily. Their lab is nothing short of phenomenal.

It's a difficult decision to make, it's a lot of money. They only gave me a 25% chance for success (in my head all I could hear was 75% chance of failure). The bottom line in my decision making was that I had to know I tried everything... and going to CCRM would give me those answers I needed... and happily, they gave me my growing baby girl!

Best of luck to you in your research and decisions.

I Believe in Miracles said...

I'm so sorry you're having to move onto IVF. I hope you get some wisdom from local folks about where to go.

~BIG HUG~